I seem to need some method to keep me accountable, if only to myself. With that in mind, I am publishing a monthly review to document my progress. Maybe this will make me more productive as well!
I am currently working on:
COMPLETED – Restoration project
Here are the steps taken to complete this project.
- The worn back and batting were removed and all damaged embroidery threads were removed.
- I attached a piece of white flannel on the back of the top to give it strength as it was quite fragile.
- I machine embroidered all the seam lines.
- I machine appliquéd all thirty (30) flowers, leaving the placement exactly as it was when I started – this turned out to be the most daunting task.
- I layered the newly restored & reinforced top with new 100% cotton batting & a soft blue plush, dotted fabric – also to keep the quilt as close to the original as possible.
- I added simple machine quilting along the seam lines.
- The binding was the backing fabric folded forward & top stitched.
- The finished product is quite heavy, but very cozy!
My friend was extremely happy – here is what she posted on social media. The story is so sweet. I’m so glad to have been able to help:
A little over 20 years ago my Nanny made me a beautiful quilt. I’ve cuddled with this quilt when I was sad for having left Newfoundland, when I was happy to have Mike back home with me, and all the days in between. Over the years the quilt took a beating. The stitching around the flowers had fallen away and it was worn nearly through in spots. I had loved it too much. Lucky for me I have a good friend in Connie Collins who happens to be a very skilled quilter. Connie repaired every flower, every square, one by one. She strengthened the entire quilt so I will have it forever. She spent ages and ages repairing it but never changed it from my Nanny’s quilt. Thank you Connie! I appreciate it more than you know.
Deck-ade The Halls (started in 2014) – progress 🙂
The back has been assembled using left-over fabrics from the top;
The quilt has been sandwiched – I am still pondering how to quilt it;
Next step: quilt & bind.
Sand & Sea Table Topper (new)
I needed a quick and somewhat easy project after the complex restoration project, so have assembled a mini-jelly roll of gorgeous batik fabric in blues & browns.
Next steps, sandwich, quilt & bind.
New projects planned:
Vacation Memory Quilt: Every year while on vacation, I purchased a few fat quarters that will remind me of those vacations. I have been looking for the perfect pattern to make a memory quilt. Progress: no new progress this month.
I’m happy to report that it has been a very productive month…
Until next time, happy quilting – Connie 🙂